Information on SR-22 SR22 FILINGS

Facts and Figures:

What is an SR22 Filing"?

An SR22 Filing is a form issued by an insurance company which removes a suspension order placed by the DMV on your driving privilege. The filing provides a guarantee to the DMV that an insurance company has issued at least minimum liability coverage for the person making that filing/ AND that the insurance company will notify the DMV should the insurance ever lapse for any reason.

Who Needs One?

People whose license is under suspension by the DMV need an SR22 Filing to reinstate their license. This includes, but is not limited to the following suspension reasons: drunk driving violations; more minor moving violations in one year than the law permits; suspensions from unpaid fines or parking violations; uninsured accidents; failure to comply with other DMV laws or regulations.

How do I get an SR22 filing to reactivate my drivers license?

You must purchase minimum liability coverage on the vehicle(s) you own. In Alabama, the minimum limits of liability are 20/40/10 ($20,000 Bodily Injury Liability per person / $40,000 each accident / $10,000 Property Damage Liability). If you do not own a motor vehicle, you must purchase non-owners" liability coverage. The price is based on the severity of your driving record (accidents and violations), where you live, and the number of years of driving experience, age, sex, and marital status. If you do not know what is on your driving record, you may order a motor vehicle report (in Alabama) by sending a money order in the amount of $5.75, and a self addressed envelope, and a written request to: Alabama Department of Public Safety, P. O. Box 1471, Montgomery, Al., 36102-1471. We can also obtain an MVR for you when you apply for insurance, through our Instant MVR Service. Then, you must purchase the proper kind of automobile, motorcycle, commercial vehicle or non-owners policy. Our goal is to find this coverage at the LOWEST COST TO YOU! That is why we are here. Our computer system compares rates with 17 of the major companies in the area, then we offer you the lowest possible rate!

How long must I maintain and SR22 filing?

Under normal circumstances the SR22 Filing period is three years. However, the DMV will inform you how long you will actually be required to file SR22.

What process is involved in reinstating my license?

  1. First you need to know what is on your driving record to get an accurate price for the kind of coverage you need. Order an MVR from the DMV, or come to our office and obtain an MVR with our Instant MVR Service, while you are completing an application for insurance.
  2. Secondly, you will need to call the DMV at: 1-334-242-4400, and ask them what other DMV fees are needed to reactivate (see fee schedule below).
  3. With that information we can help find you the LOWEST PRICE for insurance, with our computerized comparison of 17 Companies, so the next step is getting a quotation for the proper coverage (for a general price indication, click here.
  4. After getting a general price indication, call us at 256-546-2811, or 800-575-3779 to get a confirmed quote. If the price is OK with you, then come to our office and we can issue the SR-22 Filing Instantly, which permits you to go to the Alabama Department of Public Safety Drivers License Division at the State Capital in Montgomery, AL., or one of the offices listed below, to obtain your D1-12 Letter of Reinstatement. You will present your SR22 Certificate, and pay your reinstatement fee, and obtain your D1-12 Letter of Reinstatement. (Special note: Do not drive to Montgomery or Huntsville by your self. Have a friend or associate drive you. Not only do you risk getting a ticket for Driving While Suspended, but the DMV will not reinstate your driving privileges unless you are accompanied by another licensed driver. Take your Letter of Reinstatement to the local Driver Examiner (remember, here again you must also be accompanied by another licensed driver) and pay $5.00 to take the drivers test (if a test is required). Take your Pass-Certificate to the Court House and pay $20 and obtain your Temporary License and Photo I.D.>
  5. That's it! After completing these steps your license will be reinstated!!
  6. Important! After obtaining your new license, please bring or send a copy of it and your Letter of Reinstatement of Driving Privileges (D1-12) to our office, so we can send the copies to the Insurance Company. The Company needs to be assured that you did get your license reinstated. This is very important, because the Insurance Company may cancel your policy in 30 days, if you fail to provide proof that your license has been reinstated.

Accident Reports and Driver License Reinstatements Where and How to Obtain

Driver License Services and Office Locations

Jacksonville, Alabama State of Public Safety DIV Alabama Highway Patrol Driver License Office
(Highway 21 South), 1703 Pelham Road South, Jacksonville, AL 36265
(STATE TROOPER) (256) 435-3521, or (DRIVERS LICENSE REINSTATEMENTS) 256-782-1322, or (DRIVERS LICENSE EXAMINER) 256-435-7006 Driver Records, Accident Reports, and Driver License Reinstatements.

Birmingham, Driver License Office; 908 Bankhead Hwy W. Tel: 205-252-7445
Driver Records, Accident Reports, Drivers License Reinstatements (now available).

Dothan, Driver License Office; 5679 Montgomery Hwy. Tel: 334-983-5616
Driver Records, Accident Reports, and Driver License Reinstatements

Huntsville, Driver License Office; 1115-A Church St. Tel: 256-539-0681
Driver Records, Accident Reports, and Driver License Reinstatements

Mobile, Driver License Office; 3400 Demopolis Road Tel: 251-660-2340
Driver Records, Accident Reports, and Driver License Reinstatements

Montgomery, Department of Public Safety Annex; 502 Washington Ave. Tel: 334-242-4241( ACCIDENT RECORDS) OR FOR REINSTATEMENT: 334-353-9116, 334-353-9824. General: 334-242-4259 OR 334-242-4226, OR ,334-353-9877, 334-242-4200 334-242-4400
Driver Records, Accident Reports, and Driver License Reinstatements. Mailing address: Department of Public Safety, Drivers License Division, P O Box 1471, Montgomery, AL 36102. Fax: 334-353-9988, then mail original.

Sheffield, Driver License Office; 4500 Hatch Blvd. Tel: 256-383-2923, examiner. 256-383-9991 reinstatements.
Driver Records, Accident Reports, and Driver License Reinstatements

Driver License Fees

Reinstatement Fees:

Suspended/cancelled licenses
Revoked licenses

Alcohol/drug-related offenses:

Additional drug-related fee

Other Fees:

Fail to surrender license within 30 days
Fail to pay child support

Copy of accident report: $15 ( or $17 online at: )

To purchase an accident report, you must provide the date and location of accident and the driver's name(s).

Copy of driving record (MVR): $5.75 ( Print Order Form at: )

Those wishing to purchase driver records (MVRs) must have the person's full name, driver license number, date of birth or Social Security number of the person whose record is being sought.

Cash or money order is required. Personal checks are not accepted. For more information: